“The best time to start thinking about your retirement is before the boss does” – Anonymous
By far the most tax-effective and asset protected entity in Australia is superannuation. There has been an increase in the number of self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs) being established in the last 10-20 years and also where borrowing in superannuation has become possible.
High net worth individuals have established SMSFs to accumulate and hold real estate, listed securities and other investments to provide them sufficient funds for retirement. SMSFs are subject to strict regulatory taxation and superannuation laws which need to be carefully considered.
Our principal lawyer Nathan Yii is an SMSF Specialist Advisor TM accredited with the SMSF Association. We are expert SMSF lawyers and work alongside clients and their advisors to advise on assist with:
- The establishment, review and amendment of the governing rules of SMSFs
- Changes of trustees including to a special purpose SMSF corporate trustee
- Advising on legal issues relating to SMSF compliance
- SMSF borrowing including third party and related party lending via limited recourse borrowing arrangements
- Advising on property development using SMSFs and associated structuring issues
- Pension documentation
- Binding death benefit nominations and the structuring of death benefit payments
- SMSF disputes